[Wine] Keep wine resident

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 12:20:06 CST 2016

On 28 February 2016 at 21:01, Seth Hill <sethrh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is there a way to instruct wine to stick around after a program has run? Alternatively, is there a way to “boot” a wine prefix and keep it running?
>
> As part of a project to port some windows software to linux, I am using wine to run a windows-only command line utility in a loop. Running it via wine it works just fine, however, calling it in a loop is extremely slow.
>
> It seems that the wine “boots” when the program is called, then shuts down immediately after. This takes a few seconds every time the program is called. Unfortunately I need to call this program many thousands of times, so those extra seconds add up to hours.
>
> I’ve discovered that if I run a wine GUI application before running the program (such as winecfg, notepad, etc.) beforehand, the startup time is eliminated. That solution is a bit awkward, as this program is being run in a cluster computing environment (on dozens of headless nodes).
>
> The ideal solution would be a command line switch to wine or a service that could be run when the node boots. I did try wineserver -p, but that had no effect on startup time (I’m not sure what wine server does).
>
> Any thoughts?

WINE is not a VM. It doesn't boot as such.

It's an API translator. But yes, it has to load. All programs do.

Multiple apps can share a single instance, though.

Perhaps a background command-line task doing nothing very important --
such as a heartbeat indicator of some form, such as a task that
periodically adds a line to a logfile -- might achieve what you want.