Travel info update

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Tue Dec 2 13:03:06 CST 2003

Hi All,

I'm including, in line below, a blurb on travel information
I've put together.  I'll also put it up on the web site shortly.

Let me know what I've missed <grin>.

Also, be sure to let me know officially if you'd like
a travel subsidy; I've had a few requests, and would like
to make sure that the donated money is spread fairly.

Cheers,

Jeremy

------------------------------

WineConf Travel Info
--------------------

WineConf 2004 will be held in our offices in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Our details as well as a link to mapquest are here:
  http://www.codeweavers.com/site/about/general/

Our office is about halfway between downtown St. Paul and downtown
Minneapolis
(they're each 5-10 miles away).

We're about 12 miles from the airport (about a 20 minute drive).

If you'd like to travel around the Twin Cities at all, renting
a car is a good idea.  A number of folks will have cars rented,
and we'll try to set up a registry for shuttling people about.
We'll particularly try to make sure that anyone from out of
the country can get rides as they need them.

Cabs are available, but you have to call them ahead of time.

Public transportation is available, but can be slow,
particularly on weekends (the train won't be done until
April :-/).

I've listed a bunch of hotels below.  Their is a fairly
reasonable quality and yet low price Best Western near
us; they have indicated that if we can commit to putting
'heads in beds', they will give us a rate of $61.10/night.

However, I need to set that up in advance; so let me know
if you'd like to stay there.  Also let me know if you'd
like to share a room; I'll try to connect interested parties
(sharing adds $10/night to the cost).

You can also get quite good results going to www.travelocity.com and
searching for hotels near an address.

Finally, if you're staying for a while and you'd like to
explore the Twin Cities, it can be great fun to stay in downtown
Minneapolis.  On weekdays, the skyway system that connects all
of downtown is open, and you can wander around and explore
our 'habitrail' system.

Hotels Near Us:
--------------
Radisson Hotel Metrodome
(612) 379-8888
http://www.radisson.com/hoteldirectory/hotelbio.jsp?hotelCode=UNIVERSI
About 1 mile away

Best Western University Inn
(612) 379-2313
Dialup only
http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=24081
About 1 mile away

Both of these hotels are right on the University of Minnesota campus,
which means its easy to walk to a variety of shops.

I've called the Best Western, and they'll give us a rate of
$61.10/night if we can commit to a fair number of 'heads in beds'.
If you'd like to stay there, let me know, and I'll try to arrange
a block of rooms.

Hotels By the Airport:
----------------------

Courtyard by Marriot
(952) 876-0100
http://www.marriott.com/dpp/PropertyPage.asp?MarshaCode=MSPCY

Embassy Suites Hotel - Minneapolis Airport
(952) 854-1000
http://www.embassysuites.com/en/es/hotels/index.jhtml;?ctyhocn=MSPAPES

Comfort Inn - Minneapolis Airport
(952) 854-3400
http://www4.choicehotels.com/ires/en-us/html/HotelInfo?sid=DBMjg.2NFMHJMJJ.4&hotel=MN015

Whatever you do, do *not* stay at the 'Holiday Inn Airport' -
it is quite far away from our homes, our office - and the airport.

Hotels in Downtown Minneapolis:
Radisson Plaza Hotel
Very nice hotel, pricey, but worth the money.  On the skyway.
http://www.radisson.com/hoteldirectory/hotelbio.jsp?hotelCode=MPLS%20DT
 (612) 339-4900

Best Western Downtown
 (612) 370-1400