Update on WRS offer & Stuttgart University

David Gümbel david.guembel at itomig.de
Mon Dec 20 03:48:41 CST 2004

[I am CC:ing Mr. Schmid from WRS, as he is the person who knows best about
the region, the hotels, etc. pp. I'd suggest he be added to the Wineconf
list as well or at least be CC:ed, so questions regarting hotels,
infrastructure etc. are going directly to him from now on?]

On Montag 20 Dezember 2004 10:21, Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
> Brian Vincent wrote:
>   > I don't think the University is going to come through.  I wish it
>   > would
> >
> > happen because that sounds like the perfect setting, however I think
> > one last chance at contacting them is all we should try.
>
> I successfully contacted Mr. Gemkow last week (wednesday or thursday),
> even phoned with Jeremy but forgot to send an update to the list, mea
> culpa. I hopefully was able to dispel his concerns (commercial status of
> the conference, ammount of work involved for them, etc.). He is checking
> with the administration of the university and will call me back.

That's great news, I think!

> > Are we sure those other two venues have Internet access that can handle
> > all of us?
> >
> > Why does WRS suggest Nuertingen over Wernau?
>
> Nuertingen is a bigger city, well at least in comparision to Wernau. To
> be honest, it's the first time i've heard of Wernau ...

Yep ;)

I asked Mr. Schmid of WRS to answer the question regarding "co-organizer".
Here's what he said:

> > In any event, the offer from WRS is very generous.  I do
> have to admit
> > I am little nervous by the phrase
> >    "WRS can pay the rent for the conference venue if we can become a
> >    co-organizer of WINEConf"
> > That seems like a very generous offer, and I'm not sure I understand
> > what WRS wants in return.

WRS intends to present Stuttgart Region as a region with perfect conditions
for Open Source companies and developers. That?s why we host several
conferences of open source projects like KDE, GNOME, Apache and may be the
WINECon.

> > That seems like a very generous offer, and I'm not sure I understand
> > what WRS wants in return.

In return, WRS would like to be mentioned in WINECon press releases as
co-organizer. Maybe we can have a short keynote (five minutes) at the
beginning of the conference to welcome the guests in Stuttgart Region and
to show the facilities for developers in Germanys southwest.

Brian Vincent:
> I agree - we don't want end users there.  This should be developers only.
> However, if we have an opportunity to draw some developers in who aren't
> familiar with Wine, I think that's ok.

Full ACK from my side here.

> The one thing I'm deathly afraid of is arranging all this via email,
> then arriving and finding out there's no one onsite to coordinate
> anything.
> Securing a conference facility is great, but I'm not sure we can leave
> everything up to the staff of the facility.  The dates of Apr 23-25 would
> allow me to arrive early, so at least we'd have that going for us.

I'd be happy to be wherever Wineconf will take place and help out
personally, so that would make two "on the ground". I am pretty flexible in
that respect, so the date won't be a constraint as far as I am concerned.

> Having said that, I really like the options proposed so far.  Any of them
> sound good to me and I think someone familiar with the area should voice
> an opinion.  I think we should set some dates and secure one of those
> places by then - I'd say by January 3rd we should make that decision.  By
> Jan 10th we should actually have reservations.  I realize Christmas is in
> between, but I think we're all still reading email.  Between Jan 3rd and
> Jan 10th we should put out a plan on wine-devel to make sure we're not
> overlooking something.

While I totally agree that we should push things a little, I regret to say
that I will be not very responsive to mail from tonight on until Jan 3,
simply because I am not in office :-) Is anyone uncomfortable with putting
the dates proposed, say, a week behind, or at least about three days? (I
will keep up with my mails from time to time, but certainly not every day).

Cheers,

David