Uni of Stuttgart ok with Wineconf

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Sun Jan 9 08:33:37 CST 2005

Hello,

Brian Vincent wrote:
> As it was written in the Book of Ulrich Gemkow <gemkow at ikr.uni-stuttgart.de>:
>>> 3) The criteria for meeting space we came up with seems pretty solid.  I
>>>    included it at the bottom of this email in case anyone wants to review
>>>    it again.  Included are room sizes and other requirements.
>>
>>It seems you missed to add the information, I need this to look for the
>>rooms.
>

> I did forget to include it.  Here it is:
>
> * guests: about 50-70
>
> * rooms:
>   - two: one break room, one meeting room
>   - size: large enough to hold the 50-70 people ;)
>     [8m x 12m minimum, anything larger is fine]
Herr Gemkow, one think to check is the cleaning of the space we will
use. If I remember correctly this thing was handled in following ways
(depending on the type of the event):
- remove the litter and move the furniture back to their place
- fully clean up the place (including sweeping and washing the floor).
   Normaly this was done by the university cleaning personel but one had
   to pay for it.
If it's the last option Jeremy and I think this is a good idea if
somebody willing to sponsor picks it up. The first option is easy, we
will just grab some "voluteers" and it shouldn't take longer then half
an hour to get it done.

> * equipment:
>  * LCD projector
Probably this has changed since I left the university but back then
beamers were a scarce resource and had to be booked in time to actualy
get them. If this is a problem i could bring a LCD projector from the
office.

>  * white board or something large to write on
>  * Internet connection and LAN equipment to support 30 laptops.
>  * some form of microphone
>  * if possible, digital audio/video archive of conference
I think this is more something for a volunteer who likes to film. Like
Boaz did last time.

> * duration: two full days.
>   At least 2 nights of lodging with an optional day on
>   either side would be nice. ?I think last year's schedule worked well,
>   so we should plan on:
>    - arriving on Friday, with a loosely organized, late dinner (point us in
>      the direction of a restaurant)
I figure you guys don't want to go into an american, mexican, italian,
chinese or whatever international restaurant but would like to try some
swabian/german food?
I'm living now for a couple of years in Stuttgart but my restaurant
selection is probably not complete or the best:
- Tauberquelle
	- pro: good swabian food
	- contra: 40 people max out the restaurant so we would have to
           book the whole restaurant. And if we get more than 40 people
           we can go there anyway.
- Paulaner
	- pro: decent bavarion/german food. Enough space for way more
	  than 40 people. In summer they have a Biergarten outside
	  (don't know when the season starts for them and it's highly
	  weather dependent)
	- contra: nothing major besides that they serve bavarian instead 	  of
swabian food ;)
- Amadeus
	- pro: standard german/swabian food. Lot of space. Biergarten in
	  the summer (same restrictions apply like for the Paulaner)
	- contra: more a pub than a restaurant, people go there mostly
	  to drink then to eat and the food of the above restaurants is
	  better.
I once was in a restaurant in the cellar of the "DGB Haus" and they
served good german/swabian food and it was cheap. Don't know if the same
people still manage that restaurant (don't even know the real name) and
if the food quality is still the same but nevertheless here are the details:
- "DGB Haus"
	- pro: good german/swabian food. space. cheap
	- contra: don't know if it's still the same like I rember it
Those 4 restaurants are basicaly all in Stuttgart downtown aka walking
range of each other.
A restaurant (more an inside beergarden (in summer also outside)) is the
Wichtl in Feuerbach which is still Stuttgart but you need to take the
S-Bahn for 2 stations or the U-Bahn for a couple more stations to get
there. Distance measured from the main train station which is downtown.
- Wichtl in Feuerbach
	- pro: good food, pizza style (more like a 'Tarte Flambee' or
	  french pizza) but german. Own brewery in the building, beer is
	  good. Biergarten outside.
	- contra: not directly downtown but still easy to reach.

>    - arrangements on Saturday for an informal breakfast - coffee, tea,
>      bagels,?etc
Some possbilities i see here:
- catering service
- i don't know if the Studentenwerk still manages all the cafeterias at
   the University. If yes, i don't know if they would/could do it (state
   organization/company and working on the weekend is hard). If not we
   more than sure can use the caterer which serves the cafeterias too.
- do it ourselfs. Getting pretzels, bread rolls and other backery stuff
   on the weekend isn't hard. Rest can be buyed in one sweep through the
   "Metro". Only problem is the wast amount of coffee we would need.
   Maybe we could rent the big coffee machines from the Studentenwerk,
   i know they've rented/borrowed out bigger kitchen devices before.

>    - start the conference at 8am, break for lunch, continue until late
>      afternoon
What do you think we should have for lunch? Big pizza delivery into the
conference place. I mean pizza or other fast food.

>    - organized dinner on Saturday night
What type of restaurant? I figure one of the restaurants i've mentioned
before would be ok too. Best fit for this would be the Paulaner and the
"DGB Haus"; Amadeus and the Wichtl are better suited for the informal
dinner on friday.

>    - start again early on Sunday
With breakfast again?

>    - finish late in the afternoon
Lunch same style like on saturday?

Hmm ... food: getting vegetarian food is not hard at all in all the
restaurants i mention. If other food restrictions apply like vegan i'm
not that sure that you can get something more exquisite than salad with
bread or pasta with tomato sauce.

bye
	michael
System Administration           Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani at redhat.com
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart