Local organisation

Brian Vincent vinn at theshell.com
Sun Jan 16 15:15:31 CST 2005

As it was written in the Book of Ulrich Gemkow <gemkow at ikr.uni-stuttgart.de>:

> 1. Local organisation
> ---------------------
>
> I propose to form a local organisation group (LOG).

I think that's a good idea.  I wish I was there so I could help.

> We should get a feeling for the "financial" aspects (who pays what and what are
> the limits). It is no problem to find a catering service (we have one about
> 200m near the building) for coffee and breakfast/lunch or a good pizza service,
> but somebody has to decide how much this may cost and provide some kind of
> deficit guarantee.

Jeremy, I just realized I didn't put anything on the web pages about
travel assistance.  Should I?  Either way, should we use some of the Wine
funds for this?  Should we consider charging everyone a nominal fee to take
care of things like this?

I think we'll need two simple breakfasts - coffee, tea, bagels, and something
like donuts.  We'll also need two simple lunches - we had pizza last year and
it worked well.

> I will try to hire students from our students organisation, so that there will
> be (including me) good support from people who know the location and the
> building.
>
> If a list of the people expected to come will be available, we can prepare
> name plates.

I don't think that's too important.  Maybe we could just get some stickers
that say "Hello, my name is.."

> We will some help for cleaning after the conference - the universities cleaning
> staff will not be available at sunday and the rooms must be in "perfect"
> condition on monday morning at 8am (because then the lectures start).

I can help.  My mopping skills are incredible.

> 2. Location/Traveling

(I included all the location info on the web page.)

> The small room has about 80 seats, the two bigger ones 150 and 300 seats. If
> more or bigger rooms are needed, this should be no problem, the biggest one in
> the building (which is not available on Saturdays morning) has 850 seats :-)

Excellent!  That should be more than sufficient.  We should set one up as a
break room / lunch room and use another for the actual conference.

> We can provide markers which guide the guests from the railway station and the
> parking site to the entry of the building.

Good idea.

I can help with this as well.  I'm currently planning on leaving here on
Tuesday, so I should be there on Wednesday to help with anything that needs
to be done.  Is that too early though?  If I arrived on Thursday, would it
be ok?  It doesn't really matter to me.

> 3. Equipment
> ------------
>
> LC-Projectors should be no problem - each of the halls has a projector
> installed. Overhead-projectors and blackboards are available too. The bigger
> halls have microphone, the small room does not need one in our experience.

We may want to consider using the 150-seat hall for presentations.  Last
year we had a very small room and we still needed the microphone.

> Internet access is a little bit more difficult - not from a technical point of
> view but because of security concerns in our central computing center which is
> responsible for the campus network. You should give me a feeling what services
> are needed, i.e.
>
> - is WWW-access through a proxy enough (probably not)
> - do you need direct outgoing connections (ssh, ...)
> - do you think that incoming connections to (Mail, ...) are required (which
>   would be rather difficult)

I can't think of why we would need any incoming connections.  It would be
nice to be able to telnet, ftp, ssh/scp, and irc though.

> Our institute can provide WLAN-APs and switches for interconnection of
> notebooks.

I can bring an AP as well, if necessary.

> I can provide some equipment for audio/video archiving of the conference but
> have no own experience in doing so.

I don't think audio/video is much of a concern.  Last year it was A LOT more
trouble than it was worth.  In fact, it was worth nothing since the tapes
were never converted.  If someone wants to do this on their own, I guess
we could let them.  If Aric really wants to hold a boom mic, we can let him.

-Brian