Enhancing winetest infrastructure [WAS: Wineconf agenda]

Paul Millar paul at astro.gla.ac.uk
Thu Mar 17 07:38:38 CST 2005

On Thursday 17 March 2005 11:51, Jakob Eriksson wrote:
> Paul Millar wrote:
> >[writing tests]'s a rather weary job, which no one enjoys doing
> > :^/
>
> I do! Maybe I have a condition, but I really love doing it! :-)

Long may that continue!

[...]
> > [separate CVS tree]
> This makes sense. Winetest could actually be a separate project.
> I'm not saying it should be, mind you, just that conformance
> testing is interesting not only for Wine, but for Windows
> developers in general.
>
> So a separate CVS tree makes a great deal of sense, IMHO.
> Wine could import snapshots of the tests for its' conformance
> testing. This could speed up test development considerably, I
> imagine.

I'd tread careful here: this isn't a panacea.

Yes, its fairly easy to *say* OK, we just merge in the new tests, but
would merging the snapshots really be a trivial job?  If it is
non-trivial, then Alexandre would front at least some of it and I
suspect making more work for Alexandre is the last thing anyone
(including Alexandre :^) would want.

On top of that, there would be many other issues, e.g. How the diffs
between the two trees were presented?  How the changes in wine would
be merged back into the winetest tree?  What happens to patches that
Alexandre rejects (coz they're just wrong)?

Ultimately, its Alexandre's call (and I think I can guess his answer).

[...]
> Are you coming to wineconf?

All things being equal, yes.

Cheers,