Sorry I can't make it!

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Thu Sep 14 08:26:51 CDT 2006

Hi guys,

I'd have liked to come to this years WineConf but am travelling
this weekend so cannot be there :( If people could take
notes/write up what is discussed etc then that'd be fabuloso.

A few topics that might prove fun to discuss:

- What happened to the ISV centre that was talked about in
 previous WineConfs?

- When (if ever) will WineHQ start committing to supporting apps
 CodeWeavers style?

- Has recruiting Windows developers to work on the outlying DLLs
 been given up on?
 - The idea here was to market our ole/msi/etc to Windows devs
   who might be constrained by bugs or missing features in
   Microsofts own implementations
 - However, git does not work (well?) on Windows
 - Nothing has been done to push this forward even if it did

- Ever since Microsoft lost the plot and started building "10
 year frameworks" a la Avalon, the Win32 API we all know and
 love to hate has been largely abandoned. Yet, millions of
 developers are still writing software on this framework and
 aren't going to rewrite for .NET any time soon.

 The Wine project has an unprecedented opportunity here - to
 take over from Microsoft as the maintainers of the de facto
 API; fixing bugs and adding new features (potentially for phat
 consulting sums).

 Discuss.

- Students working via the SoC programme have made some good
 contributions, and I know a few are wanting to stay on (Matt is
 at any rate). Could more developers be recruited by organising
 some kind of permenant equivalent in which students donate
 their spare time and we match them with mentors who give some
 kind of formal training?

 I know from doing it myself that working on Wine is about a
 zillion times better at teaching real world computing than a
 degree ever will be, so there is untapped potential here.

- Let Dimi take you guys to a decent club this year! I expect Rob
 can show the way ;)

Have fun! Take photos! Get completely blatted on student-priced
beer, and hopefully I'll see you all next year.

thanks -mike