WineConf 2007

Jeremy White jwhite at winehq.org
Tue Feb 6 08:14:43 CST 2007

> I had a selfish plan to host wineconf in Los Angeles so
> my cs130 students, Lei, and my four interns could attend,
> but I'll understand if people prefer Europe.
>
> How many people on this list would be unable to
> attend in Amsterdam, and would a video link be of any use?
> Maybe we could webcast it like we tried in 2002,
> but with five years of Moore's Law on our side.

I feel like you haven't done your plan justice.

Wasn't the original idea to have 2 (or more?) official
Wineconf sites, linked by video conferencing equipment?

That does have challenges; time zone sync is a hard one,
for starters.  Further, you lose much of the value of
the plain old socializing we do (i.e.  they don't
have video conferencing service in the pubs :-/).

But if it lets a bunch of people get together who
wouldn't have otherwise, I don't see how it could be bad.
(Okay, I guess if you let troubles connecting a small
remote site delay and interfere with a 'main' site,
then that could arguably be considered 'bad'; but I think
we're assuming a best case scenario...)

Cheers,

Jeremy