Announcing WineConf 2009

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Fri May 29 16:42:31 CDT 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Steven Edwards <winehacker at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is the status of the Wine Party Fund this year, to help with the
>> cost of transportation/lodging? I remember quite a bit of it was used
>> up last year...
>
> This also provides a good time for us to publicly seek donations.

On a related note, I noticed when installing TortiseSVN on windows,
that the installer has a donation button. Well, two actually, one with
installing files on the progress screen, and one at the final 'finish'
screen, asking for a donation.

When you click it, it goes to http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/donate.html.

So, two things:
A) We really need a donation page. Currently, the donate button on
http://www.winehq.org redirects you to paypal, without sending you to
a WineHQ page first explaining what the donation is for, saying
thanks, etc. It's a bit hard/tacky to send a donation request out if
we don't have a page to send them to, other than paypal.
B) We could add a button to winecfg for donating (under the
'Name'/'Company' fields in the 'About' tab). It's unobtrusive,
non-invasive, and gives quite a bit of exposure (curious users check
out all the tabs and would see it).

The donate tab may be a bit controversial, and I'm not proposing
putting it in without gathering some opinions first. But I do think
it's a really neat idea. There are often times I want to donate to a
project, but I'm lazy and don't want to search through the site to
find it. A button making it easier for me to do so => $ in their
pocket.

--
-Austin