Wine(Pre)Conf

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 10:41:23 CDT 2009

Hi guys,

As you all know WineConf 2009 will take place at the campus of the
University of Twente in the Netherlands. This is the university at
which I have studied and still live. Julius Schwartzenberg (a computer
science student) and I have talked to various students and employees
whether they would be interested in WineConf. We have the impression
that there is quite some interest from them in WineConf (it is hard to
say how much people are interested but I would guess a few dozen).

WineConf itself is open to anyone but except for AJ his keynote, I
don't think it is that interesting for outsiders. What I'm suggesting
is that we hold a 'WinePreConf' on the Friday before WineConf at lets
say 4pm or so at which we will give one or two presentations (lets say
half an hour each) about Wine. It would be meant for students and
others with a technical background and it would explain things like
how Wine works, how it is developed, what it is used for ..... and
other interesting you could think about. After the presentations there
would be time for some beer. Attendees can ask questions and perhaps
can be lured to hack on Wine as well ;)

Personally I think such an event would be good to give others an
overview of Wine and to attract more developers. I don't expect all
Wine developers to be there but I expect that a big part of us is
already available by then (at least the US guys, since US planes
arrive in the morning). I think it would even be possible to hold such
an event in a lecture room which has video equipment and even
streaming support, so we could have some Youtube movies in good
quality ;)

What do you guys think about it? I really think there is an interest
in this and I think the university might be willing to help as well.

Regards,
Roderick Colenbrander