Good time to arrive and leave WineConf?

Misha Koshelev misha680 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 21:14:50 CDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 15:40 +0800, Tom Wickline wrote:
> Will someone be trying to work out special pricing on accommodations
> this year?
>
> Cheap hotel finder : http://www.eurocheapo.com/paris/
>
> Tom
>
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Jeremy White <jwhite at codeweavers.com>
> wrote:
>         Hi Misha (and all),
>
>         > I am looking to book tickets soon and was wondering if there
>         are good
>         > times to arrive and come back.
>

>         You can be near certain that people will gather
>         throughout the afternoon and evening on Friday.
>
>         We always try to have a good gathering place for that purpose
>         (preferably with a bar :-/).
>
>         Traditionally Saturday is a full day, starting with a keynote
>         by Alexandre, and then a day of meeting and then dinner out
>         for everyone.  On Sunday, a fair number of folks will leave
>         in the late afternoon.  Some folks will stick around for
>         dinner.
>
>         But essentially, Friday late afternoon through Sunday late
>         afternoon are the 'core hours' for optimal WineConf.
>
>         There are usually groups that do something mildly touristy
>         on Monday, and often folks stick around for a few days
>         and do other fun things afterward.
>
>         This year, given the proximity to the US holiday of
>         Thanksgiving,
>         I think you'll find the preponderance of folks will have have
>         free
>         time early (e.g. Wednesday/Thursday), rather than later.
>
>         Typically, these are small groups, and they sort things out
>         on this mailing list, or on the Wiki page, as they go.
>
>         Note that the date was chosen in part because travel will
>         be cheaper.  But travel will be cheaper because the weather
>         will be less nice...  You might want to figure that in
>         when planning.
>
>         Also note that tickets should remain cheap for the next
>         few months, so you probably don't have to rush (but you can't
>         blame me if I'm wrong and prices suddenly jump up :-/).
>
>         Cheers,
>
>         Jeremy

Jeremy, Tom, and everyone else:

Thank you for your wonderful comments.

I have decided not to risk ticket prices rising, and have booked a
flight on Air France.

Per your recommendations for "optimal WineConf time," I will be arriving
on Friday, November 19th at 8:35 am and departing on Monday, November
22nd at 10:30 am.

I look forward to finally meeting all of you in person!

Sincerely yours,
Misha