PGP key signing party?

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Sun Oct 24 02:19:42 CDT 2010

On 23/10/10 23:34, Scott Ritchie wrote:

> On 10/23/2010 01:23 AM, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Are we planning a key signing party this year? Is anyone organizing it?
>> Is anyone even interested in it?
>>
>> Shachar
>>

> I'll bring my business cards (with key fingerprint on them) as usual.
> I'll sign whoever brings similar (plus a passport).  This'll get you
> into the Ubuntu web of trust, at least, which should connect you to a
> larger group of OSS devs
>
> -Scott

Thank you, and I will certainly take you up on that, but the point is
not to get into any specific rings of trust. My key is, after, all,
recognized by the Debian project (translation - I am a Debian
developer), and thus is already good enough to get packages into, e.g.,
Ubuntu[1][2]. My key is also signed by my old key, which is, in turn,
signed by Richard M. Stallman and Andrew Tridgell.

The point of having a pgp signing party is not so I can get MY key
better connected (though, certainly, that is a nice thing to have), but
so that everyone can be well connected. As an example, Tridg signed my
key during WineConf 2005, when we had a PGP key signing party :-)

I understand Wine is not a PGP oriented project, but I'm assuming that
some Wine hackers also participate in other projects, that are. I think
this is a good chance to flatten the web of trust.

Shachar

[1] - http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/rsyncrypto
[2] - http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/fakeroot-ng

P.s.
Since I'm assuming you are running Ubuntu, can you give fakeroot-ng a
spin on Maverick? I think Ubuntu introduced a kernel change that breaks
it, but I do not have anywhere I can install it at the moment in order
to check.

Sh.

--
Shachar Shemesh