Rethinking WineConf

Jakob Eriksson jakob at aurorasystems.eu
Wed Jan 11 01:39:13 CST 2012

On January 11, 2012 at 5:44 AM Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Damjan Jovanovic <damjan.jov at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > What about Mono? .NET applications that use P/Invoke won't ever work
> > outside
> > Windows without Wine, so they kind of need us, and many native
> > applications
> > now also use .NET, so we kind of need them. Unlike with Samba, the
> > licenses
> > are compatible, and a combined/attached conference might attract some of
> > their developers to help us out.
>
> From what I recall, the Mono people don't really intend
> to support those apps; they're more into supporting people
> who are writing new apps from scratch.
> - Dan

Sorry for saying the R word, but if someone could say the M word without
getting
shouted at - for the love of God, why can't we have ReactOS, Mono and Wine
working together?!  What all these projects lack is a coherent and inspiring
vision for newcomers.  I think what we need is an "Apollo Project of
Programming".

Add a Metro implementation to the mix and we are really aiming for the moon.

best regards,
Jakob