Rethinking WineConf

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Tue Jan 17 18:26:23 CST 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Jeremy White <jwhite at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> Thank you for all the replies.  Here is what I've taken away so far:
>
>  1.  Our intro text was overtly hostile to users.  I've removed that.
>
>  2.  Potential attendees want a clear agenda.
>
>  3.  Coordinating with another event remains interesting.
>

> So, exploring #3 a bit further - what if we asked for our own track
> within FOSDEM 2013?  (I presume that would be February 2013 in Brussels)
>  It would let us all get together, allow us to have a few sessions
> targeted at non Wine developers, and could also save us some hassle.
> And I like Belgian beer.

I cannot speak for the FOSDEM organization, but I seriously doubt you
will get a full track on the first year with no single talk about Wine
in the past.

> Would we lose some of the joy of having our very own conference?

IMHO having WineConf as part of FOSDEM would dilute WineConf. FOSDEM
is just too big.

Having Wine-related talks at FOSDEM would be perfectly fine, though,
and I would even encourage you to ask for a keynote (you have to
submit the keynote proposal in October, IIRC).

> Of course, given our (so far) non participation in FOSDEM 2012, we may
> not be welcome... :-/

This should not be a problem at all. Wine fits perfectly in the
contents of the CrossDesktop DevRoom. I cannot say there will be a
CrossDesktop DevRoom next year but I'm 99% sure there will be.

Unfortunately for you, we have received confirmation from all the
speakers in the CrossDesktop DevRoom already. Would you be interested
in a slot in case we receive a last-minute cancellation?

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org