WineConf agenda

Alex Henrie alexhenrie24 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 01:18:27 CDT 2017

> It's getting close to WineConf and I think it's time to think about agenda.
> Does anyone have anything he'd like to talk about? Any ideas about
> conversations we should have? Feel free to add them to
> https://wiki.winehq.org/WineConf2017

It would be nice to talk about the fake DLL problem. In case you're
not familiar, numerous popular applications (Chrome, Steam, StarCraft,
Overwatch...) manually load system DLLs into memory, do some
verification checks, and then attempt to jump into the DLL's code.
This causes a crash because Wine's DLLs are fakes that don't contain
the actual function code. Wine Staging has a solution to the problem
involving making the fake DLLs more realistic and then catching and
redirecting attempts to execute memory-mapped code. I'm curious to
know what it would take to get the Wine Staging solution or another
reasonable solution into mainline Wine.

-Alex