The future of WineConf

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 08:59:35 CDT 2018

We touched on this during WineConf a little already, but were slightly
short on time. With most people back from travel and the videos
starting to get published, now seems like a good time to continue that
conversation.

Key points from the previous conversation:

  - We have several offers for hosting WineConf 2019. In no particular order:
    - Kiev, Ukraine, by Arthur Hil
    - Bali, Indonesia, by Aric Stewart
    - Vilnius, Lithuania, by Ričardas Barkauskas
    - Japan, by Alexandre Julliard
    - Toronto, Canada, by Ulrich Czekalla
    - Minnesota, United States of America, by Jeremy White
    - Austin, Texas, United States of America, by Austin English

  Most of those are longer standing ones; Kiev, Bali and Japan are new
this year. There's an argument for holding WineConf somewhere other
than Europe and the United States after 16 years, although travel
costs are also a consideration. Another fact worth pointing out in
this context is that September 12, 2019 would be the 25th anniversary
of Alexandre's maintainership of Wine.

  - The time of year this time seems to have been generally well-received.

  - Samathy proposed having a Code of Conduct for the conference.
While, to my knowledge, there has never been an instance where one
would have been needed, and hopefully that will continue to be the
case in the future, it seems prudent to me to have one.

  - The CFP could have been more formal/explicit.

  - General discussion slots are still considered useful. We'd like to
preserve those.

Other points I'd like to bring up:

  - What did people think of the A/V recording? Was that a good thing,
and something we should continue to keep improving? Or is the
consensus that it's intrusive and not worth bothering with?

  - I think there was a sentiment, at least with some people, that 2-3
days was fairly short and we weren't quite done discussing things yet.
Would it perhaps make sense to extend the conference by a day in the
future an include e.g. Monday as well?

  - Should we put more effort into attracting external (e.g., from the
broader Free Software community, and people/organisations using Wine)
speakers?

We'd like to hear your feedback on these points, as well as your
general feedback about which things you liked and would like to keep
seeing in the future, and which things you disliked. If there's any
feedback you'd rather not give in public, you can of course always
simply send me a private e-mail as well.

Henri