Jeremy's commit log research

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 09:59:58 CDT 2018

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 4:34 PM, Alex Henrie <alexhenrie24 at gmail.com> wrote:
> https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2017-November/119438.html
> https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2017-November/119447.html

For tomorrow's discussion..

FWIW, it wasn't documented well (though I just added it to
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow), but Gentoo
recommends (not requires) adding bug info as well. Both URLs and plain
bug numbers are considered okay, with the tag `Gentoo-Bug:`, e.g.,:
Gentoo-Bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/12345
or
Gentoo-Bug: 12345

Examples:
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/log/?qt=grep&q=gentoo-bug

I've found it very helpful, to be able to just click a link when
looking at git log and immediately know why the commit is in the tree.

I don't think it should be required, not every Wine change will have a
bug (e.g., spelling fixes, or multiple commits for one bug), but I
would greatly prefer if developer included links to bugs were
preserved rather than stripped as they currently are.

--
-Austin
GPG: 267B CC1F 053F 0749 (expires 2021/02/18)