WineConf and sound recording

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Mar 30 15:30:57 CDT 2018

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018, Henri Verbeet wrote:
[...]
> I happen to agree that the recordings have room for improvement, and
> would like to see us do better there. Budget is definitely a
> consideration though, and as much as I would like to promise that this
> year will be better, I don't think I can. I'm curious though, did you
> have specific equipment in mind that you'd like to recommend?

On a related note I could bring a 360 degree camera (Xiaomi Mi Sphere) and
a tripod. I have just ordered the camera but not received it yet, hence
the conditional. We could set it up on the tripod in the middle of the
room (if it's a typical U-shaped setup). One advantage of a 360 degree
camera is that during Q&A sessions the viewers could see who is asking the
question (or who's falling asleep during the presentation ;-) ).

Alternatively it's possible to reframe the video as a regular full HD
video by picking which direction should be shown at a given time. I have
no idea which software supports that though.

It's not going to do anything for sound though.
(actually I have no idea how 360 cameras handle sound, presumably they are
not going to be directional)

Stefan sometimes left phones on the speaker table to ensure we hear
him well (since the camera is usually quite far). Maybe it would be
possible to leave 3 or 4 phones or other recording devices around the
room and then pick the device with the best sound during video editing?

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr>