Protocol for adding FIXMEs

Bill Medland medbi01 at accpac.com
Thu Aug 16 12:10:12 CDT 2001

What do people think?

I seem to have a knack for finding things that are probably going to need
fixing at some point but for which I do not have time or knowledge
currently.  My first temptation is to add a FIXME macro in the code
directly.

However I am occasionally frustrated by the number of times I see the same
FIXME (e.g. the pthread_rwlock* and the "kill other threads" one).  I also
recognise from posts that these disconcert newbies whereas after a couple
of weeks one gets used to them.

So maybe it is better to use FIXME comments where one knows that something
is wrong but it doesn't seem to matter.

(For example the WM_NCCALCSIZE message uses wParam as a Boolean value and
if it is TRUE then the lParam no longer points to a simple rectangle but to
a structure whose first element is a rectangle.  Very little if any code
handles that case explicitly.)

I know that the manual (wine-devel 8.0) says to add FIXMEs I am concerned
that this could lead to ridiculously large traces that hide the important
stuff (to say nothing of upsetting timing)

Any other views?

Bill