Protocol for adding FIXMEs

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Thu Aug 16 13:45:55 CDT 2001

"Bill Medland" <medbi01 at accpac.com> writes:

> However I am occasionally frustrated by the number of times I see the same
> FIXME (e.g. the pthread_rwlock* and the "kill other threads" one).  I also
> recognise from posts that these disconcert newbies whereas after a couple
> of weeks one gets used to them.
>
> So maybe it is better to use FIXME comments where one knows that something
> is wrong but it doesn't seem to matter.

FIXME macros should be used in cases where we know something is wrong
but we don't expect this part of the code to ever get used. This way
if some app triggers the wrong code we can hear about it. It doesn't
make sense to add FIXME output to parts of the code we know are going
to be called, it just generates noise; a comment is much better in
this case.

> (For example the WM_NCCALCSIZE message uses wParam as a Boolean value and
> if it is TRUE then the lParam no longer points to a simple rectangle but to
> a structure whose first element is a rectangle.  Very little if any code
> handles that case explicitly.)

I don't think this specific case is a FIXME at all. Apps are allowed
to ignore the extra information if they don't have any use for it.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com