extracting shares from mtab

Chris Green chris_e_green at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 06:53:55 CST 2001

--snip--

> On Solaris fstab is vfstab, and mtab is mnttab, parsing these files is no
> good unless it is done in some portable way. (Not that smbfs even works on
> Solaris)  I would think that persistent share selection should be saved in
> the registry and accessed through smbclient rather than smbfs, then smb
> shares would work for all OSs supporting Samba, not just those supporting
> smbfs.
>
> IMHO There are already too many linux centrix assumptions in wine, please,
> lets not add any more .

Perhaps the note below (from the linux man page for getmntent(3)) might be
relevant or useful to someone who wants to implement such a thing in a
portable way?

"SysV  also  has a getmntent() function but the calling sequence differs, and
the returned structure is different. Under SysV /etc/mnttab is used.  BSD 4.4
and  Digital  Unix  have  a  routine getmntinfo(), a wrapper around the
system call getfsstat()."

regards
Chris