Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Sun Dec 16 20:26:25 CST 2001

Gerard Patel <gerard.patel at nerim.net> writes:

> Theoretically yes. The project leader has a much higher
> chance to do it successfully in fact. Since he is fixing the
> rules in the first place he has to be more responsible IMO.

I don't know what gave you the idea I'm fixing the rules. The original
license what chosen by consensus among the developers, the change to
X11 was accepted by everybody. All I can do is propose changes, others
can propose changes too; the change is only implemented if people
accept it. I can only lead where people are willing to follow.

> >It's simply part of the existing rules that the rules can change.
>
> trusting people is always a problem, yes.

Trust has absolutely nothing to do with it. Nothing gives you the
right to demand that people continue to release their code under the
X11 license. The existing code will always remain available, nothing
can change that. For new code, if developers decide that they want to
put it under the LGPL that is their choice, and if the majority think
including LGPL code in the main tree is a good thing I'll do it,
otherwise I won't.

> > I'm not doing it precisely because I *do* care
> >what people think, and I won't make the change unless it is acceptable
> >to at least a large majority of the people affected by the change (and
> >yes that includes Transgaming).
>
> it's for them (and possibly others professionals) to say then.

It's for *everybody* to say.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com