Installshield 6 (inter-proc) patches

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at cs.toronto.edu
Thu Dec 20 23:01:25 CST 2001

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Patrik Stridvall wrote:

> No, its not irrelevant because it will effect the advise the company
> lawyers give their clients.

But know you are inconsistent with yourself. You've been claiming that it
is the very spirit of the LGPL that would scare companies away, and I can
see some merit to that idea. You've also been claiming that the LGPL may
not be enforceable, thus in mathematical terms,
   the expected value of the LGPL < the intended meaning of the LGPL
it follow directly, that the more you are right, the less negative the
advise of the lawyers.

So, if you 100% right, the LGPL would become BSD, and the lawyers would
give the same advise, as for the BSD. If you are 100% wrong, then we do
get the full protection of the LGPL, and we're happy. Anything in between
is a linear combination of the two. In any case, there really is no point
about bitching the doctrine of derived work. QED.

In fact, choosing the LGPL is a very nice way of hedging our bets agains
future changes in copyright law. And this is so because of the negative
feedback loop that the LGPL introduces agains the copyright law. Brilliant.

--
Dimi.