We *really* need a development model change !

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 31 09:40:24 CST 2001

One more point in favour of C-based tests. They will
be very useful in porting Wine to non-Intel platforms.
C tests will help to test both - execution of Windows
applications under processor emulator and compilation
of Windows applications with Winelib.

> 1. It is much easier to install under Windows than a
full development
>   environment, and we don't have to worry about
supporting a dozen
>   different compilers. We can simply provide a zip
file containing the
>   compiled script interpreter, and people can be up
and running in seconds.

We can create MinGW toolchain distribution, customized
for the test application. Besides original MinGW tools
  (about 32Mb) this distribution can include
command-line, GUI CVS clients, GUI test application
launcher. Can you suggest any other tools?

The launcher will have functionality to run Wine test
application, update it from CVS, build, create patch.
Such distribution is mostly newbie-oriented.

With script-based tool it is still necessary to
install CVS separately or we need to create our own
distribution.

Another advantage of C-based tests is that they
provide smooth path from tests creation to
contributing to core Wine project.

Thanks,
Andriy Palamarchuk