ChangeDisplaySettings

Travis Michielsen tjmichielsen at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 09:36:04 CDT 2001

Hi,

I was planning on implementing ChangeDisplaySettingsA soon but I'm not certain
on how to do it.

I have been browsing the source tree and was following the methods used by
DirectDraw and was considering a similar approach.  While I was browsing the
source, I was eventually lead to dlls/x11drv/xvidmode.c which contains most of
the functions that I will probably need.  But I still have a few concerns:
1) Is the x11drv used for ddraw AND the gdi or just one?
2) what is the best way to query if the video exists? without knowing syncs?
3) and if i need to know syncs how do I find them?

Another question I have is about pixel depth.  From what I understand, it is
imposible to change the pixel format of the screen while X is running.
However, it is possible to start more than one X server with different configs
(and depth) which we could use if we have to but probably not a good idea.  Of
course another posibility is to emulate the pixel depth, but that would
probably cause performance problems, especially when used by games.  Anyone
have any suggestions or should we just leave changing depths as unimplemented?

Thanks!

 - Travis Michielsen