ALSA driver

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Sat Apr 20 14:40:31 CDT 2002

> Sigh, Suse 8.0 just moved fom 0.5 to 0.9 - the Alsa developers regard
> 0.9 as more stable and having less bugs than 0.5. Why spend all that
> time on an obsolete driver? OK, that is mostly the disappointment speaking
> that I still won't be able to run wine with Alsa.
the point is not whether 0.5 is technically better than 0.9 (or the
other
way around). The point is on the current installed base of ALSA drivers
in the field, how many are 0.5 and how many are 0.9.
Mandrake and Suse (at least) have been shipping 0.5 for more than one
year, whereas 0.9 is brand new. It just means that 0.9 installed base
is almost 0 (in percentage). So, spending time right now on 0.9 is not
the top priority (at least for me). OTOH, since the OSS emulation in
ALSA 0.5
is broken, the point is whether we fix it (using a pure ALSA 0.5 driver
in Wine), or let users live with that (TG has disabled the HAL support
in dsound just because of that and it's a PITA)

A+