Isn't 'make depend' optional?

Joerg Mayer jmayer at loplof.de
Mon Aug 5 08:21:47 CDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 10:05:48PM +0900, Bang Jun-Young wrote:
> Why do I have to do 'make depend' when I can build Wine without it?
> Only because it's said so there? Sounds unreasonable to me.

No, not because it is said there. Definitely not because it is said
there. The current build process requires that this is done in some
cases. Because nobody wanted to document those cases, the message
was put at the end of configure. I had problems compiling wine without
make depend from time to time 6 or more years ago, so your problem is
in no way new. It may be new for you, but not for wine.
And because of this problem, you should do make depend. Or not, but
please don't complain in that case. Your agrument seems to go a bit
like that: "I've been speeding for years but never got a ticket. Why
should I get one now?"

 ciao
      Jörg

--
Joerg Mayer                                          <jmayer at loplof.de>
I found out that "pro" means "instead of" (as in proconsul). Now I know