REQUEST: symlinks behaviour change

Raul Dias chaos at swi.com.br
Sun Aug 25 14:33:32 CDT 2002

oi,

<spetreolle at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>You're right for benefits.
>But will wine have the same behavior as before ?
>In your example, the symlink for regsrv32 is replaced.
>We could have a functionnality loss : will the regsrv32 still be
>built-in without its symlink ?

No. It won;t be builtin.
It will be a native regsrv32.exe.

It is important to note that if I have ran IE installer as root
(as root owns /usr/lib/wine/regsrv32.exe.so in my system),
the installation would have overwritten this file and any fake
windows tree which symlinks to it (I have a few) would be using the
native version instead of the builtin.

>> However, some applications needs to replace this files.
>>
>> I noted this with the Internet Explorer Installer (5.01 sp1 and 6.0).
>> If it cannot
>> replace the c:\windows\system\regsrv32.exe file it will abort.
>>
>> However, as the c:\windows\system\regsrv32.exe is a symlink and wine
>> has permition
>> to move/delete this symlink, I would link to suggest that wine
>> first delete the symlink file when an application tries to write on
>> it.

[]'s
Raul Dias