We *really* need a development model change !

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Wed Jan 9 12:37:11 CST 2002

Andriy Palamarchuk <apa3a at yahoo.com> writes:

> Which approaches can you suggest to reach goals I
> believe are important:
>
> 1) bundling - are we going to have separate
> distributions - Wine with tests, tests only, Wine
> only? There are a lot of cases where only one of them
> is required.

My view is that everything is distributed with Wine, and we have a
script on WineHQ that builds a zip of the test-only environment for
use under Windows, and/or a script to fetch it from CVS on Windows.

> 2) development of the unit tests under Windows.
> Obviously, we don't need to have Wine itself when we
> work with unit tests on Windows. Plus, we need to
> create development environment, usable by Windows
> developers.

For Perl we need to ship a winetest.exe and a couple of scripts to run
through the tests. For C we need to generate makefiles one way or
another, including support for the major Windows compilers.

> 3) Organization of the unit tests in such way, so they
> can be used by other Win32 implementation projects.
> Conditional TODOs I suggested above will help to
> manage different TODO lists for different projects.

Looks good, though I would suggest having simply a TODO_WINE instead
of making people write the same test thousands of times.  Then we can
add TODO_ODIN or whatever if the need arises. And I think the TODOs
should be controlled by a command-line option, so you can switch them
on under Wine too. But these are details, I think overall it looks
quite good.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com