common controls updown patch

David Elliott dfe at tgwbd.org
Fri Jan 18 16:23:11 CST 2002

On 2002.01.18 00:57 Shane Shields wrote:
> On Thursday 17 January 2002 4:13, you wrote:
> > The remainder of any even number divided by two is
> 0, the remainder of any
> > odd number divided by two is 1.
> >
> > Knowing this doesn't:
> >
> > len+=(len%2);
> >
> > make more sense.  Leave the comment as is for
> clarity if you wish.
> >
> > -Dave
>
> thanks Dave, its also a lot more elegant and will work
> faster too. i will
> generate a patch for it to be applied on top of the
> first one. as my biggest
> strength is visual basic things like this dont come to
> me straight away. im
hmm... VB... yeah.. BASIC in general tends to lend itself to crappy
programs, always has, always will.  However BASIC on a PCjr was my first
language, so I guess it was okay to start with.  Except for the fact that
BASIC is so screwed up it screws with your mind and it takes a long time
to realize that almost no other programming language does things like
BASIC.

Might I suggest Python if you are in the process of learning programming.
Python is an extremely elegant language, interfaces well with C code, and
has several GUI toolkits.  I think the default toolkit is Tk (yuk) but
wxWindows has a python version you may want to check out.  The real
wxWindows (C++) is just amazing for ease of GUI programming, I assume the
Python version is probably easy to use too.

> still trying to work out what this means
>
> 		(delta < 0 ? 1 : -1)
>
> its got me stuck. im currently looking at the wine
> install script as it
> doesnt find the windows registry when installing wine
> with an existing
> windows installation.

As Dimitrie said, that means if delta is negative then 1, if positive or 0
then -1.

The general form is booleanexpression?then:else

> Shane
>
> To drink the WINE of success you must first seek the
> sayings of source.

hehe.. how true.  Do you know the author of that quote?  We should put it
on the webpage.

-Dave