C testing framework. ASCII/Unicode portable version

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Tue Jan 22 13:30:34 CST 2002

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dimi at cs.toronto.edu> writes:

> With all due respect Alexandre, I can't understand your point. When does
> the _semantics_ of the function differ based on the string
> encoding???

Functions that take strings usually do something with them, so this is
part of the function semantics, and it differs between ASCII and
Unicode. A fundamental part of that is making sure that all characters
are preserved correctly (no W->A->W round-trip) and it's precisely the
thing that will never get tested with the TCHAR stuff.

If all you want is to call the function with some random string, then
you don't really need to call both A and W since they usually use the
same code anyway. So just call the A function and you will have tested
as much (or as little) of the W function that you would have by
recompiling the TCHAR code as Unicode, while avoiding the whole macro
mess.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com