Patch that broke SetFileAttributes

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Tue Jan 29 13:58:59 CST 2002

> Is this case separate from the above case? I have checked
> Linux kernel sources (2.4.13 only) and I have found no reason why
> chmod should fail on read-write mounted VFAT filesystem. Perhaps
> there is some obscure bug/feature in Linux VFAT driver that
> escapes my eyes. Could you provide more information about this case,
> please?

Well, it's easy : it depends of the user you mount your VFAT partition with.
Look at this example (on ext2) :

nexus6:~$ ls -l toto
-rwxrwxrwx   1 ulmer    users           0 Jan 29 20:53 toto
nexus6:~$ su otheruser
Password:
nexus6:/home/ulmer$ ls -l toto
-rwxrwxrwx   1 ulmer    users           0 Jan 29 20:53 toto
nexus6:/home/ulmer$ chmod o-x toto
chmod: toto: Operation not permitted

So if like me, you had your VFAT partition mounted R/W for everybody on the
system (or for people from a particular group) but with owner = root, you
will have the chmod problem (I was bitten by it once while playing Baldur's
Gate).

This bug is really painful for multi-user systems... In my case, I fixed it
to have the VFAT files mounted with me as the owner :-)

                  Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/