Wineconsole (again)

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Mon May 20 16:12:06 CDT 2002

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 01:54:31PM -0700, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Andreas Mohr <andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de> writes:
>
> > Why is the "missing font" message a WINE_WARN ?
> > IMHO this should clearly be a WINE_ERR, as it's a user warning,
> > it's not only of interest to developers.
>
> Warnings should be WARN, only errors should be ERR (makes sense uh?)
> We already have way too much noise being printed by default. Ideally
> it should be possible to always display the error messages because you
> would only get one when there is really a fatal error. As it is now,
> if you want a user-friendly install, you have to pipe all the output
> to /dev/null (like we do in Crossover) if you don't want to scare your
> users with dozens of meaningless errors. That's not good.
That's not good, yes.
And it's even worse if people don't know where to look at in order to find
out "why this bloody wineconsole doesn't work" (to just express how people
would react).

This WINE_ERR is *required* IMHO.
Convincing me otherwise will be hard.
Like you said, piping to /dev/null is possible, so why *not* use an ERR ?

Besides, like you said above, "only errors should be ERR".
This is not only an error, it's a *critical error*, as it aborts
the whole program...
If that's not an *ERROR*, then I really don't know what an error looks like.

This mail had perfect timing, BTW.
I just had the same wineconsole abort on my other desktop box about one
minute ago...

Why let Wine print user messages at all ?
It's not required, as Wine fails for endusers most of the time anyway ;-)

Again, simply giving a WARN to such a critical abort is underrated.

Tel. +49 7159 800604                http://mohr.de.tt