Loadorder should check library name, not path

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue May 21 15:26:09 CDT 2002

    Alexandre> Uwe Bonnes <bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:
    >> at present, wine e.g. crashes if it finds user32.dll in the same
    >> directory as the executable. To keep wine from using this DLL, the
    >> dos-path to that dll has to be given explicit to the "-dll" argument,
    >> like wine h:/tmp/programm.exe --dll h:\\tmp\\user32.dll=b (e.g. with
    >> a user32.dll in h:/tmp/)
    >>
    >> I don't think we need that high granularity to select between builtin
    >> and native dlls.

    Alexandre> Yes, there are cases where this is needed. Do you really have
    Alexandre> an app that comes with its own user32.dll?  I don't see how
    Alexandre> this can work under Windows either.

There are two cases:
- <windows/system> is populated with some executables. Calling them directly
  causes immediate crash
- for testing, I had comctl32.dll in the directory where the control-spy
  applications are. I took me some time to find out why even --dll
  comctr32=b still resulted in the use of native comctr32.

In both cases wine violates the "principle of least surprise" in my eyes.

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de