New Server?

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Fri Apr 25 12:14:03 CDT 2003

Well,

I'll let Jer tell you about the box he speced out that
we authorized him to buy.  It was very nice...

Yesterday I went to a local dealer and said:
I need a server, and I have to walk out of here with
it in 1 hour.  So what I got was the best of what they
had.

Which was a dual Athlon MP/2000 system, with
a 36Gig SCSI drive (they didn't have the
hardware raid card, so it's not raided yet), and 2 Gig
of RAM.

Truthfully, our old box (dual Intel 800's) was
plenty fast; it's never really had much trouble keeping up.
Linux is a remarkably efficient server OS <grin>.

We're going to add a nice Adaptec hardware raid card
and raid up the drives.

We're fortunate in that we colocate with our ISP
that has multiple OC-3s, and they mostly use the
downstream bandwidth...

The eventual plan is to replicate this box at another
colo and then have two boxes, DNS round robined,
and mirrored.

Jer also wants to put in dedicated mysql servers,
but truthfully, we're still figuring out what
the best practice is.  Anyone want to send us advice
(privately would be best; this isn't a sysadmin list),
we'll cheerfully listen.  I think we have enough
egg on our face that we'll humbly accept advice :-/

Cheers,

Jer