When will Wine integrate an x86 CPU emulator?

Jim White jim at pagesmiths.com
Fri Aug 22 13:26:55 CDT 2003

Lionel Ulmer wrote:
>>Anyhow, I realize that the Wine-devel list isn't the most hospitable
>>place for these sorts of ideas.  That's why I set up
>>http://darwine.sf.net.
>
> Well, I looked at the site and did not see much there... Is there any design
> diocuments / roadmaps on how you plan to go forward that we could read so as
> to know how you plan to actually tackle the issues raised by all the people here ?

The most useful part of the web site is the email list archive:

As you note, the substantive work to date has been that Pierre has made
progress (to the point of running WinMine) in porting Winelib to OS X.

My personal roadmap for Darwine-related activity is to try out the
Winelib stuff myself and make a suitable Freshmeat announcement.
Updating the web site a bit with some current status and some of this
discussion is also a "to do".

I don't expect to be a development leader for any of this Wine-related
stuff as I don't have much interest in running or porting Windows
applications.  I certainly have no interest in debating anybody on what
or how to do anything.  I do like communicating with others with whom I
have a common interest.

The most interesting activity on Wine with x86 emulation is QEMU.  If
that had existed last year then there wouldn't have been a Darwine.
QEMU now has a mailing list:

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/

Jim
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams