[resend] Allow use of MAP_TRYFIXED for better mmap()

Todd Vierling tv at pobox.com
Thu Aug 28 11:47:19 CDT 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

: > I have a feeling we're just on different mental wavelengths here.
: > MAP_TRYFIXED is not an optional feature.  If the #define exists, the feature
: > exists -- for the OS version used to compile, and all later versions.
:
: You are still thinking only about source distributions. The problem is
: when you want to ship a binary: the only way to build a binary that
: works for everybody is to build it on an old OS version;

Yes, that's right.  This is not a problem, as 99% of Wine users on NetBSD
are building from source.  The very small remainder of prebuilt-binary users
can easily be told to ensure that the OS version is up-to-date (since there
are security fixes that necessitate this anyway).

: With a run-time check you don't have to sacrifice anything,

You have to bend over backwards to do the runtime check, and you sacrifice
*maintainability* with the extra normally-dead code added to Wine.  I don't
see a need to jump through extra hoops in this case.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv at pobox.com>