Wine default install queries - Wine 20030115

J. Grant jg-lists at jguk.org
Thu Feb 13 18:44:00 CST 2003

Hi,

>> There is no windows version defined in the [Version] block, should a
>> windows version be defined to use as default?
>

> The short answer is that it should not be required

In the case where a program tries to detect what version of MS-Windows
it is running on is there a default returned?  Are there any test
programs to see this at all? I did not find a test dir in the src or
other wine package for testing.  There is a "tools" dir that had some
very useful programs I have used before.

>> Drive F: was setup as CDROM, even though the ./tools/wineinstall  said
>> it could not find the CDROM during the process I think.  Checking fstab
>> for "cdrom" would determine the cdrom drive(s) on most computers.
>

> This should work. A log of the relevant part of ./tools/wineinstall
> would be good.

OK, I ran again, it ended abrumptly (perhaps because this was the 2nd
time I ran it). You can see the log of the cdrom detection section though.

###
Installing default Wine registry entries...

Could not stat /mnt/fd0 (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
Could not stat /home/now3d/.wine/yes (No such file or directory),
ignoring drive C:
Could not stat /cdrom (No such file or directory), ignoring drive D:
Invalid path L"c:\\windows" for L"windows" directory: does not exist
Perhaps you have not properly edited or created your Wine configuration
file.
This is (supposed to be) '/home/now3d/.wine/config'
Registry install failed.
###

> Well to be case correct "Wine". I think this is a holdover from when
> wine "needed windows" so the drive would be "MS-DOS" as oppossed to
> "*nix" The label is irrelavant to wine but.(ahem) isn't "MS-DOS" a (tm).
> Anyways changing it would not hurt any objections or other suggestions?

"Wine" sounds good to me, I did not think partitions can have mixed case
filenames in MS-Windows though? It seems to force the first character to
be in upper-case only in my experience.

I noticed a few references to MS-DOS in the "config" file, such as:

;; MS-DOS drives configuration

Perhpas this would be better labeled as "DOS" (generally), or even just
"Drive configuration" in this case..?  MS-DOS is a trademark.

Regards

JG