Wine default install queries - Wine 20030115

Tony Lambregts tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net
Thu Feb 13 20:39:22 CST 2003

J. Grant wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>> There is no windows version defined in the [Version] block, should a
>>> windows version be defined to use as default?
>>

>> The short answer is that it should not be required
>

> In the case where a program tries to detect what version of MS-Windows
> it is running on is there a default returned?

 From what I understand win31 <g> It looks like that if you are using
Windows dlls it takes the version from the first dll it loads and uses
that. (I could be wrong) The code for this is in misc/version.c

> Are there any test
> programs to see this at all? I did not find a test dir in the src or
> other wine package for testing.  There is a "tools" dir that had some
> very useful programs I have used before.

 I have no idea why it would be there. my personal guess is that there
are some helper programs in the tools directory that might use it. (Does
anyone know ?)

>>> Drive F: was setup as CDROM, even though the ./tools/wineinstall  said
>>> it could not find the CDROM during the process I think.  Checking fstab
>>> for "cdrom" would determine the cdrom drive(s) on most computers.
>>

>> This should work. A log of the relevant part of ./tools/wineinstall
>> would be good.
>

> OK, I ran again, it ended abrumptly (perhaps because this was the 2nd
> time I ran it). You can see the log of the cdrom detection section
> though.
>
> ###
> Installing default Wine registry entries...
>
> Could not stat /mnt/fd0 (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
> Could not stat /home/now3d/.wine/yes (No such file or directory),

WTH..  how is it getting this? something is wrong before this.

Get rid of you old config file (rename it junk or something) and rerun
 ./tools/wineinstall.   I would like to see the  full log of this.

> ignoring drive C:
> Could not stat /cdrom (No such file or directory), ignoring drive D:
> Invalid path L"c:\\windows" for L"windows" directory: does not exist
> Perhaps you have not properly edited or created your Wine configuration
> file.
> This is (supposed to be) '/home/now3d/.wine/config'
> Registry install failed.
> ###
>

>> Well to be case correct "Wine". I think this is a holdover from when
>> wine "needed windows" so the drive would be "MS-DOS" as oppossed to
>> "*nix" The label is irrelavant to wine but.(ahem) isn't "MS-DOS" a
>> (tm). Anyways changing it would not hurt any objections or other
>> suggestions?
>

> "Wine" sounds good to me, I did not think partitions can have mixed case
> filenames in MS-Windows though? It seems to force the first character to
> be in upper-case only in my experience.

Just a little joke on my part. "Wine" is the proper name of this project.

> I noticed a few references to MS-DOS in the "config" file, such as:
>
> ;; MS-DOS drives configuration
>

> Perhpas this would be better labeled as "DOS" (generally), or even just
> "Drive configuration" in this case..?  MS-DOS is a trademark.

Yeah I suppose we could change that too.

--

Tony Lambregts