Installers

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Sat May 24 16:52:07 CDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 21:17, Ann and Jason Edmeades wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have noticed that modern installers are struggling with wine, as a few
> people have reported here.

Yes, unfortunately it seems installers are becoming a problem again :(

> I am running no-windows (except msvcrt for now) and seeing things which
> range from:
> Windows not being drawn completely
> Windows not being re-drawn
> Installers which hang completely

This is probably for InstallShield installers... NSIS works perfectly
for instance, I did some work on it a few months ago. TransGaming did
some work on allowing InstallShield to repaint properly, the
inter-thread marshalling stuff. I think that's coming back to WineHQ but
I'm not sure.

> Questions...
>
> 1. Is anyone actively looking at it?

Well the DCOM part of Wine is not really finished, but there should be
enough to allow installers to work. Like I said, Ove did some work on
this.

> 2. What system dlls would make installing easier or possible?

Installing DCOM98 and making all the  OLE dlls native would help I'd
guess, but dcom no longer installs because the version numbers in our
ole32 dll is too high :) There is a workaround though.

thanks -mike