[ros-kernel] Re: WINE porting templates

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 11:26:30 CDT 2003

--- Dmitry Timoshkov <dmitry at baikal.ru> wrote:
> But for simple things which use pure Win32 APIs like USER controls,
> message
> boxes you have to be able to share code with Wine without any
> significant
> effort.
>
> By "porting" that code to reactos you gain nothing except bugs. Have
> a look
> at reactos/lib/user32/windows/messagebox.c "ported" from
> wine/windows/msgbox.c:
> code in reactos now has lots of unicode/ansi related bugs not existed
> in Wine.
> Why did you guys want to do that?!

The controls are almost a 100% port with the debugging information
changed and the Tweak_WINELOOK crap ripped out. A few things such as
MessagesBox, Dialog Boxes and Scrollbars have been done a little
differntly because we have had alot of people with thier hands in the
cookie jar and because some things are implemented differntly in
Windows than in WINE. I dont know much about our user32 implementation
but I do know we have had to implement scrollbars in a differnt manner
because of the way Windows NT and Wine differ in the implementation.

I do agree that we should try and share more code though. When Ge and I
have been porting code from WINE we have tried to keep it as unchanged
as possible.

Here are some examples - sprintf functions
http://mok.lvcm.com/cgi-bin/reactos/ros-cvs/reactos/lib/user32/misc/sprintf.c
http://cvs.winehq.com/cvsweb/wine/dlls/user/wsprintf.c

ReactOS WINE controls
http://mok.lvcm.com/cgi-bin/reactos/ros-cvs/reactos/lib/user32/controls/
http://cvs.winehq.com/cvsweb/wine/controls/

One thing that might help us on the ReactOS side with the code sharing
is if Alexandre goes ahead with the WINE CVS tree cleanup. Most new
people jumping in to ReactOS take a look at the WINE source tree and
dont that wine/controls wine/dlls/user and wine/windows are all part of
the same user32.dll. I know this is supposed to be put off until post
0.9 as it causes problems when doing CVS merges with codeweavers but it
will help our never developers that come in and want to know what is
where in the Winehq sources.

Thanks
Steven