Proposal to resolve the issue of the broken wine-users gateway

Jeremy Newman jnewman at codeweavers.com
Thu Oct 23 17:09:41 CDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 16:25, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> On 23 Oct 2003, Jeremy White wrote:
>
> > Further, I think it may be time to recognize that cool looking
> > forums are what users expect; that mailing lists and newsgroups
> > are really becoming the 'old' way of doing things.
>
> I for one don't think highly of other forms of forums, but this
> is not the issue. I think we should fix the gateway, and also

The gateway is a dead issue. Back in the day it was pretty nifty to get
listed on USENET. Unfortunately newsgroups these days are a mess, and
IMO should go away. I intend to not look into it any further.

> provide one of these fancy forums. If people like them, all
> power to them. In fact, I think we should implement the Slashcode
> (or something similar) for the News box. Would be very nice to
> see the reactions of people to important news that happen in
> the community, but are not *that* important to start a thread
> about on wine-devel.

The software I mentioned to Jer that we could implement is
Phorum. http://phorum.org/ I've played with it in the past,
and integrating it into the current site is dead easy.

As far as slashcode goes, we already have a news system. all someone
needs to do is submit articles to be posted. Just submit a patch to
wine-patches in the news XML format I use, and I will most likely add
it.

--
Jeremy Newman <jnewman at codeweavers.com>
CodeWeavers, Inc.