for Red Hat packager

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Tue Sep 9 21:34:14 CDT 2003

Le mar 09/09/2003 à 13:33, Shachar Shemesh a écrit :
> Yes. I posted the source for a small program that tests this. It's
> available at http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2003/08/0175.html.

Thanks.

> There is one gotcha that still needs to be looked into. It appears that
> even when ICU is statically linked, some versions look for files on the
> HD. The ICU support forum said this should not happen with 2.6. What
> this means, however, is that it may well be that you will build the
> package on your machine (where ICU is installed), and then test it and
> see it working. Other people, however, will not get BiDi unless they
> install ICU as well (despite it being statically linked). I have sent
> the Israeli community to have a look at existing packages, to see
> whether this has happened so far. I'll be most glad to help anyone who
> enoucnters this problem to solve it. In the mean while, it is important
> to test, at least once, your package on a computer other than the one
> that was used to generate it.

That's exactly what I have as symptom. I installed ICU 2.6 as RPMs (from
the IBM site), then compiled Wine and verified that your program
succeded (it did), then removed the ICU RPMs and retried your program,
and it failed. After just reinstalling the ICU RPMs, it worked again.

So there's a problem with the static linking. Probably it's not enough
(I think there are some data files which are needed also).

Vincent