Configuration parameters

Huw D M Davies h.davies1 at physics.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 17 07:45:12 CDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:34:59AM -0400, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> On September 17, 2003 08:25 am, Huw D M Davies wrote:
> > > * Spooler - isn't CUPS meant to take care of that?
> >
> > It does if the system has cups.  It's still needed for non-cups
> > printers though.
>
> Right, but can we leave the non-cups to regedit? How common are
> cups systems, and most importantly, what is the trend? Did most
> distros switched to it? If by the time we release 0.9 most users
> are on cups, we may not need GUI in winecfg for it...

The trend is towards cups, but my guess is that there'll be a sizeable
minority still using lpr/lprng/etc for years to come.  Actually that's
ok then isn't it? 0.9 won't be released for at least another decade :)
Seriously, I think we can probably let the non-cups people struggle
with regedit, it may give them the incentive they need to switch to
cups.  If they shout loud enough we can always add it to winecfg
later.

Huw.
--
Huw Davies