Trouble installing MS SQLserver 2000 Client Tools

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Tue Sep 30 07:01:34 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 18:07, Craig Davison wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to install the SQLserver Client Tools with Wine 20030911
> (on Redhat 9). The setup process fails near the beginning because it
> cannot install MDAC ("Setup is installing Microsoft Data Access Components
> (MDAC) ...").

Strange, I remember installing MDAC just fine a few months ago.

> It exits with a dialog that says "Installation of the Microsoft Data
> Access Components package failed. (-1)". The following console messages
> are displayed:

Well you would need to debug this further. The only message that looks
like it *might* cause problems is the first:

> fixme:process:CreateProcessA (F:\standard\x86\other\sqlredis.exe,...):
> CREATE_SEPARATE_WOW_VDM ignored

> I can't install MDAC standalone (MDAC_TYP.EXE from microsoft's website)
> either

What errors does this get you?

> , but I don't think that matters because SQLserver setup will always
> try to install MDAC.

That's dumb. Why would it try to install something that is already
present?

> Note that I have IE 5.5SP2 installed, and I think DCOM98 (I can't tell if
> that failed or succeeded) according to instructions in the WineHQ appdb.

To force usage of the stuff DCOM98 installed you need to run wine with
"--dll ole32,oleaut32,rpcrt4=n", or with CVS versions of wine like this:

WINEDLLOVERRIDES="ole32,oleaut32,rpcrt4=n" wine setup.exe

> Wine is emulating "win98".

Try changing it. It might come good.

thanks -mike