Start menu (especially for Alexandre Julliard)

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Sep 30 12:06:24 CDT 2003

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Mike McCormack wrote:

> Robert van Herk wrote:
> > Mike McCormack wrote:
> >
> >> Ideally, you'd want to write a Gnome VFS module that calls shell32.dll
> >> and queries the shell name space to generate the start menu the same
> >> way Windows does.  You need to use some RPC mechanism to do that, as
> >> you can't link wine dlls directly into your gnome vfs module.

However this approach would only work with Gnome. Then you'd have to do
something else for KDE.

And then you would still not integrate correctly with Mandrake's special
KDE and Gnome menus, or with SuSE's special KDE and Gnome menus, or the
Debian based menuing systems, or the menus of WindowMaker, BlackBox,
Enlightenment, fvwm, etc. etc. etc.

<rant>
The Linux desktop menus are a total mess. FreeDesktop came up with a
broken standard (vfolders) to 'unify' KDE and Gnome (which were already
pretty similar and relatively easy to work with).

But what we need is a truly standard way to create menus for all desktop
environments on any Linux distribution. Something like the Debian
menuing system, maybe with improved support for internationalization and
other bells and whistles.
</rant>

            Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes.
       That way, if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away - and barefoot.