Status of TAPI

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Wed Apr 7 14:48:58 CDT 2004

Mike McCormack wrote:
> Andreas Rosenberg wrote:
>> Hi guys!
>>
>> I'd like to run a TAPI based application in Wine (updated from CVS
>> today).
>
> What does your TAPI based application do?  Does it need (or provide?)
> access to some kind of hardware?  If it's not a standard piece of
> hardware, you may need to find a Linux device driver that supports it...
>
> The main reasons TAPI isn't implemented are:
>
> 1) that modems are kind of old technology, so the incentive to implement
> it is rapidly disappearing
> 2) most of the interface that TAPI provides (dialing modems, and
> starting ppp) needs to be implemented natively anyway.

This (dutch..) site provides some TAPI patches for Wine that are not in CVS:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/wijn/girotel/

I don't know how helpfull they are. Andreas, you could contact the author.
He is still maintaining the patches, but due to lack of input no longer
keeps his site up to date.

        Henk Poley <><