Winetest: outstanding issues (USING -> BUILDING)

Ferenc Wagner wferi at afavant.elte.hu
Fri Apr 23 07:48:18 CDT 2004

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> writes:

> On April 22, 2004 8:38 pm, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>
>> Why not to put this into a resource instead?  I implemented
>> the URL option because I thought the permanent archive URL
>> may not be known at build time; it's surely not the case now.
>
> Yes, but it seems easier like this. We handle winetest sources,
> they build, they don't need to mess with the sources they build.

Well, they already have to take care about the WINE_BUILD
environmental variable.  We could instead/also mandate the
presence of script which is run by maketest and produces all
the build information we need: tag, archive url and build
info block.  It has to be a script if we want automatically
determined version numbers for the build tools.

Why do I advocate this?  Because I want winetest be a
standalone application easy to run also by occasional
testers besides WinRash users how aren't affected by our way
of implementing all this.  If we neglect this winetest won't
really serve a useful purpose anymore.  Clearly, the burden
of providing two or three long (albeit static) command line
options isn't what users want.

If I'm not fundamentally mistaken, I'll start along this
route.  It can't be that hard.  Kevin, Paul, please speak
up!  Is the URL determined at build time or by the service
script?  If so, it will have to remain a command line option
or be computed when we generate the HTML, only the build tag
and the build info could be moved into resources.
--
Feri.