Small make compatibility changes (take 2)

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com
Wed Aug 11 03:11:03 CDT 2004

Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> There are some makes that don't accept ':=', yes. I don't know whether
> they would accept the current way or not, but that doesn't really
> matter; since the current way is not portable to BSD we need to change
> it anyway. The thing is, we need to replace it with something more
> portable, not with something differently non-portable.

Devils advocate: seeing as quite a few BSD users (at least the ones I
know) already have gmake installed, it's free software and easily
available in ports, why are we putting effort into portability to BSD
make? Is there ever a situation where a user will have BSD make but be
unable to use gmake?

<g>

thanks -mike