Small make compatibility changes (take 2)

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Wed Aug 11 12:32:26 CDT 2004

Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com> writes:

> Devils advocate: seeing as quite a few BSD users (at least the ones I
> know) already have gmake installed, it's free software and easily
> available in ports, why are we putting effort into portability to BSD
> make? Is there ever a situation where a user will have BSD make but be
> unable to use gmake?

Maybe not, but that's not a reason not to be portable. You can make
the same argument with gcc, of course we could require everybody to
install gcc, but it's better to make the code portable. It's even more
important for makefiles, because if someone wants to port to a new
platform and they can't even start to build they won't get anywhere;
while if it builds except for some compilation errors there's a good
chance they can fix them and submit patches.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org